A 3D Integrated Hydraulic Fracturing and Reservoir Simulator
- Zheng, S. and Sharma, M.M., 2021. Coupling a Geomechanical Reservoir and Fracturing Simulator with a Wellbore Model for Horizontal Injection Wells. In SPE Reservoir Simulation Conference. Society of Petroleum Engineers. SPE-203977-MS
- Zheng, S. and Sharma, M.M., 2020. An Integrated Equation-of-State Compositional Hydraulic Fracturing and Reservoir Simulator. In SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers. SPE-201700-MS
- Zheng, S. and Sharma, M.M., 2020. The Effects of Geomechanics, Diffusion and Phase Behavior for Huff-n-puff IOR in Shale Oil Reservoirs. In SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers. SPE-201311-MS
- Zheng, S. and Sharma, M.M., 2020. Use of Stranded Natural Gas as a Fracturing Fluid: A Simulation Study. In SPE/AAPG/SEG Unconventional Resources Technology Conference. https://doi.org/10.15530/urtec-2020-3233
- Zheng, S., Manchanda, R., Gala, D.P., and Sharma, M.M., 2020. Pre-loading Depleted Parent Wells to Avoid Frac-Hits: Some Important Design Considerations. SPE Drilling & Completion. https://doi.org/10.2118/195912-MS
- Zheng, S., Manchanda R. and Sharma, M.M., 2020. Modeling Fracture Closure with Proppant Settling and Embedment During Shut-in andProduction. SPE Drilling & Completion. https://doi.org/10.2118/201205-PA
- Zheng, S., Sharma, M.M., Watts, R. and Ahmad, Y.K., 2020. A Nanoparticle Assisted CO2 Huff-n-puff Field Test in the Eagle Ford Shale. In SPE Improved Oil Recovery Conference. Society of Petroleum Engineers. https://doi.org/10.2118/200375-MS
- Zheng, S., Manchanda, R., Wang, H. and Sharma, M.M., 2020. DFIT Analysis and Interpretation in Layered Rocks. In SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference & Exhibition. Society of Petroleum Engineers. https://doi.org/10.2118/199690-MS
- Zheng, S., Hwang, J., Manchanda, R. and Sharma M.M., 2020. An Integrated Model for Multi-Phase Flow, Geomechanics and Fracture Propagation. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2020.107716
- Zheng, S., Manchanda, R. and Sharma, M.M., 2019. Development of a Fully Implicit 3-D Geomechanical Fracture Simulator. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.04.065
- Zheng, S., Kumar, A., Gala, D.P., Shrivastava, K. and Sharma, M.M., 2019. Simulating Production from Complex Fracture Networks: Impact of Geomechanics and Closure of Propped/Unpropped Fractures. In SPE/AAPG/SEG URTEC https://doi.org/10.15530/urtec-2019-21
- Zheng, S., Manchanda, R., Wang, H. and Sharma, M.M., 2019. Fully 3D Simulation of Diagnostic Fracture Injection Tests with Application in Depleted Reservoirs. In SPE/AAPG/SEG Unconventional Resources Technology Conference. https://doi.org/10.15530/urtec-2019-314
- Manchanda, R., Zheng, S., Hirose, S. and Sharma, M.M., 2020. Integrating Reservoir Geomechanics with Multiple Fracture Propagation and Proppant Placement. SPE Journal. https://doi.org/10.2118/199366-PA
- Hwang, J., Zheng, S., Sharma, M.M., Chiotoroiu, M.M. and Clemens, T., 2020. Containment of Water-injection-induced Fractures: The Role of Thermal Stresses Induced by Convection and Conduction. In SPE Improved Oil Recovery Conference. Society of Petroleum Engineers. https://doi.org/10.2118/200400-MS
Multi-Frac 3D has been developed by Shuang Zheng, Dr. Ripudaman Manchanda and Dr. Mukul Sharma.
For information/inquiries, please fill out the contact form.
What is Multi-Frac-3D?
Multi-Frac-3D is an integrated fracturing and reservoir simulator with compositional, geomechanical and thermal options.
Features of Multi-Frac-3D?
Multi-Frac-3D is a simulator which explicitly models and fully couples multi-phase fluid-flow and geomechanics in the reservoir with wellbore flow and fracture growth/closure.
- Reservoir simulation options: 3-D, poro-elastic reservoir mechanics, multi-phase black-oil and multi-phase compositional reservoir fluid flow.
- Geomechanics options: 3-D, pseudo 3-D or 2-D poroelastic models, LEFM based fracture mechanics, thermoelastic, DDM.
- Thermal options: Thermal convection, conduction, and thermo-elasticity
- Fracture options: Multiple, competitive fracture propagation, fracture opening and closure models, proppant and fluid distribution in wellbore / perforations.
- Reservoir options: Arbitrary heterogeneity, natural fractures.
- Fluid / Proppant options: Non-Newtonian fluids, energized frac fluids, multiple-size proppant transport including proppant retardation and settling
- Numerical options: Serial, parallelized using MPI, key kernels parallelized using OpenMP, dynamic mesh refinement and unrefinement
- Hardware options: Multi-core PC-based or cloud/server-based.
Examples of problems addressed by Multi-Frac-3D
- Multiple fracture growth using different fracturing fluids (from slick water to energized fracturing fluids) and proppants
- Perforation cluster design
- Water injection and formation damage in conventional reservoirs
- Parent-child interference analysis(parent well pre-loading, child well fracturing, pressure monitoring , etc.)
- Gas injection improved oil recovery
- Flowback, fracture closure, proppant settling
- Production optimization and choke management for any reservoir fluidtype (dry gas, black oil, volatile oil etc.)
- Integrated, multi-well injection-production simulations
- Casing deformation
- Fracture and inter-well interference